For decades, rogue states and terrorist groups have exploited the global financial system to finance the acquisition of goods and materials for their weapons of mass destruction (WMD) programs. Regulatory pressure on financial institutions to better respond to this threat has likewise grown. In its most recent plenary, the Financial Action Task Force (FATF), the global standard-setter for addressing financial crime, amended its recommendations to more closely focus on how jurisdictions and their financial sectors should understand their risk exposure to the financing of proliferation.
Early in 2021, the U.S. Department of the Treasury is expected to update its National Strategy for Combatting Terrorist and Other Illicit Financing, which will likely further emphasize proliferation finance risks. Both of these lines of effort will highlight the financial sector as an essential front-line actor in preventing, detecting, and disrupting the financing of proliferation.
In this webinar, our panelists:
- Explain what makes proliferation financing a distinct financial crime
- Provide case studies of how past proliferation networks have manipulated financial flows and evaded financial institution controls
- Describe the important role that financial institutions and other private-sector actors play in the counter-proliferation finance regime
Moderator and Host:
- Chip Poncy, Global Co-Head Financial Crime Risk Management, K2 Integrity
- Jonathan Brewer, Visiting Professor at King’s College London, UK, and Senior Adjunct Fellow at the Center for a New American Security
- Jean-Annet de Saint Rapt, Research Associate, Centre for Science and Security Studies, King’s College, London
- Julia Khersonsky, Senior Advisor for Strategy and Planning at the Office of Export Control Cooperation at the U.S. Department of State
Finding this content useful?
DOLFIN is the premier portal for financial crimes and sanctions compliance. You can learn more here, or if you want to see it in action, schedule a demo or request a free trial.
Apply now for access to our extensive set of resources and keep you and your company informed on the latest regulations and sanctions and build your financial integrity.